The Puzzle of My Heart

Life is full of ups and downs. This blog records the ups and downs that form the pieces which complete puzzle of my heart...

Thursday, September 07, 2006

The 'Malaysian Time' Syndrome

Phew! Finally I found some ample time to blog again...I did blog the for a few times last month but that was not the time where I can relax - I have assignments and tests!

Today, I saw things that remind me of something. Something that is uniquely Malaysian - never on time. This have been really related to Malaysians that there is a special phrase for this type of attitude - "Malaysian time". Basically, this is the thing that annoy me the most - probably I was trained from small to be punctual by my parents (thanks to them for that) but lately I was really tired to be on time.

The first week, I go on time for every class. But the attitude of the students and also the lecturer alike had made me tired to come on time - late to classes. Now I stay in hostel until 10 minutes before class starts so that I won't waste my time waiting. Furthermore, I can do more things if stay hostel a little bit longer. Kinda fall into the category of 'Malaysian Time' people with this kind of thoughts but I can't help it. I still arrive at classes, meetings or gatherings on time though, if not earlier.

What I notice in MMU today? Well, today is the due date for paying fees and people had been lining up at the Finance counter to pay their fees. And at the meeting tonight there are people that even can be half an hour late and it is stated there that 'punctuality is priority'. There are people that wait till last minute to do assignments. This is crazy! People doing things last minute almost scared me to death (even though I do things last minute sometimes but this is at my own expense). No, I will not do this on individual assignment this time (for my Critical Thinking subject).

Not only MMU students having the 'Malaysian Time' syndrome of course. Malaysian as a whole. Doing last minute work - applying for MyKad when it is about to due in 1 day (the latest that affect the whole nation even though it happens last year), submitting forms (like income tax forms) right on due date. The government offices will be crowded with people, rushing against the time.

Guess what is the worst 'Malaysian Time' phenomena is Chinese wedding dinner. It is stated there in invitation card that the dinner will start sharply at 7.00 pm but guess what, it will only start at 9 pm and drag till midnight (more like supper than dinner) People have this kind of thoughts that other people will not arrive on time. Sigh. Why can't they just arrive on time? This is better than thinking negatively about what other will do. If everybody make an effort to come on time instead of thinking people will not arrive on time, wouldn't it be better? I'm sure most of the Chinese encounter this before (am I right?)

Enough to be said. Mind had been set that way, it's hard to change it. I still encounter this problem during outings or gatherings - I am the earliest to arrive and will be there waiting.....

That's all from me.

~Keat Yee signing off~

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home